It can be quite remarkable where inspiration can come from, (I thank you friend and fellow blogger!) it got me thinking about my own job and what it means to me. I have been working at the same job for nearly nine years--minus a couple of maternity leaves. I realized my job provides me more than something to do AND a payday. I'm not denying those two are the main reasons for working at a job. I am considering more of the little things that make a job interesting, things that make me want to continue working there. I have compiled a short list, with my reasons for why I will continue to work at the job I am in.
The People. My workplace is a mix of veteran and recent additions. Some people don't stay long for whatever the reason, but others have been there so long, they're almost fixtures in the place. They all have their strong points, which is what I would like to focus on. I think I can safely say I have learned something from everyone I have worked with. Some people have a knack for doing things faster, more efficiently, or just plain better. I like to think I can get through my workday just a bit better now because of routines or tricks I have adopted from others.
Let's not forget the reason I am at work is people needing a place to stay to do what they do to make their living, or they may be taking a break from all that! No matter what the reason, many of the people I interact with have their own stories or concerns. There have been many times I take something from those conversations or interactions as well.
The Variety. As I mentioned in my first point, my job is heavily people-oriented. My day may follow a basic pattern, yet everyday is still different. I definitely do not work in a cookie-cutter job! That variety is truly the spice that helps to keep my job interesting. I can be in the middle of a mundane, yet necessary job, and suddenly be called to do something far more stimulating at a moment's notice.
The Reputation. I feel a certain amount of pride feeling that my work is contributing towards the upholding of a respected reputation. (Even though the work attire isn't to die for). I do feel as if I am a vital part of maintaining the image and reputation the establishment has built.
The Appreciation. I am fortunate enough to work at a job where management does tell us we are appreciated, and I feel for the most part as a staff member, treated well. Guests as well show their appreciation, whether it be the occasional tip, positive service survey, or a direct face to face compliment or "Thank You" (even if I am just doing my job).
The Flexibility. A late entry to the game after it was all said and done. I realized I had omitted a fairly major reason I like my job. The place is a 24/7 operation, which allows more flexibility than say an office with the standard 9-5 business hours (Which I find funny, as this isn't the way the world runs anymore, it seems.) I can start later in the day, be available in the evenings, and for my own personal situation, work part-time for the time being. You can be sure I do offer to work the shifts I can do, if they need me to work more often, and I don't complain(much!) about working stat days. It's all part of the flexibility. They let me work the later shifts and less days, so I in return try to be accommodating when asked. All about the give and take, and I can feel good that I'm not just taking!
Personal Satisfaction. I enjoy having a job where I can go, do my day's work, and feel in my own way I got something accomplished--even though I have to go in the next day to do it all again, albeit in a new form, perhaps with different people, and circumstances. Talk about job security! I say this having done this job both on a full and part-time basis.
I have done other jobs to keep the money flowing, but looking back, they were jobs I did for the most basic reasons on does a job.
One last point I would like to bring up. I have learned that even on the very rare day that everything seems to be going wrong, a workday is only eight hours long, and that I can leave it all behind when that time is up. It's no longer my concern then. I can put some space between before I head back in for another shift.
Seeing these points displayed in front of me makes me realize that although we know change is inevitable, and can be good, I see no reason to change jobs when I know that like any attempt made in life, I am experiencing a continual learning process.
I'm just a complainer. Hard to please when it comes to work. But my dearest wish is to find the fulfillment you have in a job. Then I'll keep it. Is it just bad luck? I'm starting to think I can't be satisfied. But almost every shift I find something else screaming at me to get the hell outta there. So I did. I asked for a transfer. Said if they couldn't find anything for me I'd just quit. Hate to leave without another job yet but even two more weeks will be tough. Once all the dust has settled I'll blog prodigiously about it I'm sure.
ReplyDelete