As the end of 2013 came closer I found I wasn't having many creative thoughts to ponder. I don't know if if was preoccupation with Christmas and all the associated emotions that go with it. Fast forward to the new year and BAM, just about every night I am back to having vivid, interesting dreams that leave something unanswered. Sometimes I would love to be able to somehow hook up my brain to download what I seen during my slumber, just so I could show people what I am talking about. This would only work with some of my dreams, as the majority of them are disjointed, lack structure, or would just be too weird to share with others. Some of them stick with me and are just begging to be written down, moulded and shaped into something that would make an interesting story. These are the type of dream I have been experiencing of late. A large percentage of these have involved a common element: planes. Some of them have involved watching someone else get on a plane, others involve helplessly watching a plane plummet to earth, sometimes exploding, sometimes staying surprisingly intact. The last type of plane dream involves being on one, not always knowing the destination, and letting the adventure unfold as the dream progresses.
The last plane dream I had involved a plane that was very wide. The back row was ten seats across, and the whole top half of the plane was made of clear material--assuming it was glass, but the point is, that it was see through. The seats could be turned, and I can remember turning to face the passengers sitting along the back row. Most of them were people I knew. I could see the high tail of the plane from my seat, as well as everything above and on either side. The runway looked as if it had been cut through a forest, as there were trees as far as the eye could see on both sides. I remember the takeoff, as we rose above the treeline. The entire flight continued above forest. No bodies of water, and very little evidence of elevation until about what seems like an hour later. We the passengers are all engaged in conversation. No one says anything about where we are headed, yet no one seems to worry about that detail. At this point, a voice comes over the loudspeaker to tell us we are landing prematurely, no reason given. We circle around a forested area, then land on a runway that looks like a clearing. As we slow we see a hangar, and what looks like a small office building beside it. Once at a stop, the passengers disembark, and we all line up outside the hangar. A few crew come out and put the plane we arrived on inside, and close the doors. The flight crew stay with the aircraft and our group is just left standing there. We stand about for a short time. Someone pulls out their phone, and attempts to figure out our location via GPS. Moments later, the man walks away. The rest of us discuss the situation briefly before copying the first man. The phones do little to help us, other than to show an aerial view similar to the one we viewed just before landing. I flick the screen over and over, trying to get a sense of where we might be. I see what looks like a sparse grid of roads to the north of our present location. The group we started with breaks up based on the information their phones provide. Some people head west with enthusiasm, others to the south. Some of the people just disappear. I find that three others think the information I saw seems promising, and we all head that way, looking for a road, anything to get a sense of where we might be...
It goes on, but this is an example of despite my best efforts to describe what I saw, no one else will imagine it exactly the same way. This dream was relatively straightforward with a couple of weird moments or twists, that my imagination threw in. Some of the other plane dreams I've had are so discombobulated, that all I can do is separate out the pertinent elements and use my imagination to fill in the rest like a story.
Thanks to my overactive dream state, I now have more material to use creatively for quite some time. In fact, right now I have more material than I have time to process it all. For now I will be writing out material as an overview and put down details in point form to keep it fresh until the day that I will have time to revisit it.
This is just me dealing with the dream on a surface level. I should also be digging beneath the obvious to see if the dream was merely entertainment or if my subconscious is actually trying to inform me of something. During my waking hours I will admit I find flight interesting. I enjoy flying on planes for the most part, while being wary of the fact the pilots and the aircraft are all that is keeping me that high up. I also love the speed of flying, that I can go one thousand kilometres or more in a fraction of the time it would take me to drive it. 2013 was the first year in a long time that I did not personally take a flight somewhere. I know without having a dream that I want to change that for 2014. Like my dream I do not know where I would want to go at this exact moment, but I have ideas. We'll see, the year is young yet! Maybe I need to take a flight to further spur my creative juices--worth a shot!
No comments:
Post a Comment