Sunday, February 9, 2014

Inspiration

There is a saying telling us that inspiration is everywhere.  As part of my ongoing plan to grow within myself, I have been trying to stay open to sources of inspiration.  I have been consciously finding things to be grateful for throughout the day.  Sometimes it can be as simple as changing my perspective on a situation.  For example, when I don't hit the lights just right driving through town, I take the opportunity to take a deep breath and think about something I am grateful for.  I have decided life is good, as I have lots to be grateful for, and sometimes I will be grateful for the same thing over and over again!
I have been taking lots of opportunities to visit with the person who was the inspiration for my post on regret, (see, no chance for regret there ever again!)  He makes this easy for me now, as he is residing at the local hospital until such time as he can find suitable housing.  Still, even after this phase I will be making sure my visits continue!  This man is an inspiration to me!  Even if he doesn't know why he made his "miraculous" recovery, I am inspired that even though he is elderly, he did not give up on himself, and that none of us really did either.  If I make it to that age and I am in as good a shape, I will definitely be grateful!  I am inspired by his tales of his life, and his enthusiasm to keep going.  It amazes me how easily I can sit and talk with him for hours and come away with much to consider.

Anyone who has taken a gander at my previous posts knows I dream quite vividly.  Even if a dream is wildly disjointed and convoluted, I can come away with material to ponder and either build on or create a story.  Sometimes I feel as if I am experiencing inspiration overload if I have several vivid dreams during the course of a week.  I am working on a story based on a dream I had that felt like a movie while it was playing through my sleeping body.  It would be impossible to write it exactly as it happened, as it would make no sense to anyone but myself.  The dream itself was my inspiration, but my own imagination and personal experience fill it out nicely!  My current stumbling block is where to take the story to finish it.  I feel there are multiple ways it could go.  As of this moment I feel like the writers of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series must feel.  I could write all kinds of alternate endings, yet I feel there can be only one true ending.  Definitely need to see where the inspiration is going to take me on this project!

I am feeling inspired by the thought that this life is good, and that the choices to make it good are mine.  I'm still not sure what all the steps I need to take to get to where I want to be are, but I do know that I can be open to inspiration wherever it may happen to find me.
I think the key to this will be keeping an open mind.  I think that's where a lot of affirmative expressions must come from--one's need to be open to what may inspire them to flourish. For me I believe this is true of "Never say never", as I may be closing the door on an opportunity which may later lead to (gasp) regret!  Unlike the Choose Your Own Adventure books, I can't just return to page I was at and choose another alternative.  I have to forge ahead from the point I am currently at, even if I have to double back or take the long way to get to where I am ultimately going.  This life is a journey, and for better or worse, I am here to live it, learn it, love it, and and some point, look back on it. 

Hope I am not getting too mushy here, but I would like to express my gratitude to those in my life who inspire me with their character, actions, and convictions.  I do not have to agree with everything people do, but I can be inspired by the spirit with which they carry out their actions. Thank you to the people who pick themselves up to try again, those who keep trying, and to those who seek out a better way.   I read an interesting quote that read along the lines of choosing to find happiness in this life is about the only thing one truly has complete control over. No one can take that from you--unless you choose to let them.  Hmm, I find that thought oddly inspiring!                

No comments:

Post a Comment