Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thrifty's New Best Friend!

Not sure I want to start off by declaring "I'm cheap!", so I won't.  I am thrifty (for the most part).  Like many others, unlimited moo-lala isn't the reality.  I currently work part time to avoid paying child-care costs.  I have a hard time stomaching the idea of paying someone else to look after the kids I brought into the world to enjoy, (again, for the most part!). My buying habits tend to be a mix of conservative brand-new, think sales, or even basic items with basic, reasonable prices and secondhand.  Earlier this year I found something to complement my buying power.  I was introduced to the local Buy and Sell through Facebook.  Looked intriguing, so I asked to join the group, read their rules and outlines, and by that weekend listed a couple things I had been wanting to get rid of.  Success!  The first day I listed I made a sale, woohoo! It wasn't long before I was trawling on the Buy and Sell page every time I was on Facebook. I spent more time there than on "regular" Facebook activities.  Soon I was finding all kinds of bargains and getting rid of some things I didn't need around the house. Talk about a win-win situation!  The biggest sale I made was of my car, which I hadn't been getting much interest in through other venues. On a roll!

This summer the group made the decision to switch to a format called Varagesale, which for the most part has been awesome!  It has a layout for those using a PC, and also a mobile app, which was an improvement over the former set-up, great as it was.  You can look through a feed at everything posted recently, or by category if you are looking for something specific.  If you want to post sale items with your phone, that has been made a snap too.  No excuses to not get rid of unwanted treasures!  I've even enticed my older kids to sell off stuff they aren't playing with anymore for cold hard cash to get what they do want. Clearing out, learning value and less pestering me to pay for things--what more could I ask for?
I have scored myself some awesome deals.  Brand name stuff I wouldn't be caught dead paying the sticker price for. I look like I spent a lot, but didn't--haha!
I like to think that this thriftiness isn't just good for me.  I am stimulating a different kind of economy. I pay people in my own community for things they no longer want, but that I can use. Now they have the money to do with as they see fit.  I don't get all the packaging and other crap, didn't have to pay TAX--and I get to know my community that little bit more.  By selling stuff to other people, I get stuff I don't want out of the house, I make someone else happy (possibly because they saved money)and again, met more members of the community.

I will admit it, I love feeling like a got a deal, which is why I will continue to use Varagesale, but I will also frequent the local secondhand stores as they help charities and our local hospital.  And to our local businesses, I will also shop from you, but don't seem surprised if you see that I gravitate towards the words SALE, DISCOUNT, or any other money-saving terms.  I will pay full price, but only if I think it is worth it, after all I have to earn my money.

The way I see it, thriftiness has other rewards.  Stuff is getting re-used, re-purposed, and re-homed locally. Why shouldn't people get a few bucks if their unwanted stuff is still in fair to excellent condition?   Varagesale is saving me time and money getting things at a fraction of brand-new cost, and once I make a deal, I just go pick it up at the same time I am doing other errands--in other words, no big deal!

Varagesale is this thrifty bargain-hunter's dream.  Thanks to all the people out there who run it, and to all the people who contribute by buying, selling, and even just looking--passing it on to others. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go check the Varagesale feed, just looking!      

No comments:

Post a Comment