Wednesday, November 20, 2013

On Regret...

It could just be coincidence, or maybe events happen for a reason, but I have noticed that many things that have happened around me lately seem to be telling me to pay attention.  It's almost as if I need to, in order to avoid later regrets.
I've noticed that most of the music I have been drawn to listening to has a positive vibe to it, affirmations, calls to live like there's no tomorrow--reminding us after all that it's just our one life, we have to live it, so why not push it in the direction we want to go?  The past should not be a regret, it's a base or point to work from with the knowledge we've gathered thus far.

I consider myself lucky, so far in my life the few special people I have lost, have left knowing I truly cared for them and that before they passed they knew I was going to miss them. There were no lingering bad feelings, and that played a part in helping me move on and cherish my memories after their passings.
I am understanding what the expression "No man is an island" is truly about. We as humans are wired to need to be loved and accepted by those in our lives. Having special people in our lives helps us grow, become stronger, and helps us to be able to endure the inevitable hardships in life. The loss of one of these special souls changes us and time helps us cope with our loss.

This fact was driven home for me recently.  I acutely remember how the scary combination of words and emotion heard in a voice drove my heart to pound hard and fast.  It dawned on me almost immediately that I had been taking someone's continued presence for granted, and that I had no right to expect that presence. Life can be cruel, and we all know it. I wrote down a bunch of things I wanted this person to know (if they didn't already) to affirm their personal importance to me. I arrived at the hospital, and wouldn't you know it, whipping out a piece of paper to read from (no matter how well-intended) did not "feel" right. I winged it, just saying whatever thoughts flooded into my head. We are so conditioned to two-way conversations, that it felt plain weird to be saying things to someone, who by outward appearances, was sleeping peacefully.  Despite feeling awkward, I said what I felt needed to be said.  At this point I felt overwhelmed, so I left, with no indication of acknowledgement of the things I said.  Never mind, I got to say them.

Here's where I feel lucky in a bad situation. I got another chance to say these things again, AND witness a response. It pains me to see what illness and injury can do to the human body. I see how fragile people can be, how in a short time we can be betrayed by our bodies, even if our mind is still sharp and lucid.  Despite this betrayal, I have seen that a person can still be themselves, and find a way to shine through their adversity.

All this has got me thinking about other people in my life. People I like, love, or adore, but for whatever reason don't get to see or talk to as often as I could or should. I will be making more of an effort to let people in my life know they are important to me more often. No matter what life has in store for me I do not want to look back with a multitude of regrets that I didn't say something I should have...
Now to put these words into actions!

No comments:

Post a Comment