Friday, October 18, 2013

Reflecting on a "fuzzy" feeling project

I'm not looking to call it seeking my next "fix" or "high", but I have been reflecting a lot lately about the last thing I did to give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  I know I can't magically change the world, but I would like to find my own meaningful way to make it better.  My last (I think,) great idea transpired a few years ago, and it took time and eventually a whole lot of planning and strategically thinking to get it off the ground (literally, as a couple of plane trips were necessary!) I wrote at the time why I did it, and even reading it now, I think "yeah, that's right. Here is my last GREAT fuzzy-feeling project.

 Why I donated to BC Women's Milk Bank...

I have several reasons why I donated to BC Women's Milk Bank, as I am outlining here.
I have always been emotionally charged by the TV ads that Canadian Blood Services airs—the ones that state, “blood, it's in you to give”. Donating blood is difficult to do in Smithers, unless you can go to a larger centre. They will not accept blood donations until you are six months postpartum.
Breast milk is also in me to give—from either side of my heart. I am lucky enough to have an excellent milk supply that I can express with relative ease. My little girl is thriving on just the milk I am providing her, so of course I believe if it's good for her it will be good for some other infant in need.
I am an emotional sap, meaning seeing pictures of teeny tiny sick babies almost reduces me to tears, and makes me realize how lucky I am to have a healthy baby, and that I have no problems making more than enough milk for her. I know not all mothers are as lucky.
I like to think I am helping someone in the most direct way I can. Giving money is great, but I know exactly where the milk is going (well I don't know who exactly) but I know that a baby that really needs a bit of help obtaining nourishment will get it, and that makes me feel good.
BC Women's is the only operating milk bank in Canada, and I think that is sad. We as mothers are always being told how important it is to breast feed, or give breast milk to our babies to give them the best start in life. Here is an under funded facility enabling the most vulnerable and sickest babies get a good start. They rely on donations of milk to keep these babies fed, yet the lack of funding makes it difficult for donors to help unless they live in Vancouver. I'm not saying I want to be paid for doing this, no! Being paid would definitely take away from the warm, fuzzy feeling that I helped someone in need. I don't mind paying for the upkeep and parts for my pumps—I'm using them anyway. I don't even mind paying for the breast milk storage bags, (they can get a little pricey, though!) I just find it hard to get the milk to its final destination. It has to be kept frozen, so flying it there is the best choice, but I cannot afford to go with each shipment. I took the first one (with over 100 6 ounce bags) on a flight with Hawkair that my darling husband let me use. He won it at the Santa's breakfast raffle at the Hudson Bay Lodge. I have started another stockpile of milk, because when I made the 1st delivery on March 30th I had been informed that the milk bank was getting to the critical point for donations. The freezer was almost bare!
I believe in the good work of the BC Women's Milk Bank, so I will try to get more milk to them any way I possibly can. Their screening process is rigorous, for good reason, but it's worth it!
I answered health questionnaires, did a phone interview, gave permission for them to consult with my family physician, and last but not least had blood work done to show I was not afflicted with any one of a number of transmissible diseases. I recently read on the BC Women's website that $45,000 would run the milk bank for a year. Why can't the government help pay for this? It seems like a drop in the bucket to me, but I'm no politician, so what do I know?
I am going to do what I can for this organization, whether it be donating milk again or possibly money, as it seems they can use that too!
I can thank Best Health magazine. They were my catalyst. I wanted to donate after my second child, but found the whole process too daunting to carry out at the time. I had been having thoughts again when my ample milk supply came in after the birth of my 3rd baby. The article was in the January issue and to read, and see photos brought the whole idea clearly into focus, made in seem more real and very worth doing.
This in a nutshell, is my story, and even though I will never see or know the recipients of the milk I donated, I like to think about how I gave them a bit of help in a time of need, and that makes me feel good!

I guess I can add a little epilogue to this writing, as I did make a second delivery of (only) 20 baggies, one of which I had just pumped out as excess that very morning. It was a rushed dash through YVR to meet the director of the bank between flights (I was actually heading to Victoria, but had a brief stopover in Vancouver.) It was worth it though, even the hassle of going back through security and having to explain to them why I had left the secure area, and was now needing back through--small details!
I made a third stockpile for them, and through online classifieds, found a family driving to Vancouver who were willing to take it for me.  To make everyone's life simpler, and cheaper! I used a Styrofoam cooler. I was never actually given confirmation that it arrived. I like to think that it did, as I had informed the bank to expect its approximate arrival. I had covered the cooler lid with a huge label saying where it was going, what it was, and who it was from. Maybe I am a sucker to have faith in people, but you have to have something.
So there it is, the story from both sides of my heart, and like blood--it was in me to give. My hard-working mammary glands produced over 26 litres that was just given away, without any sacrifice to my own flesh and blood.  They may not be beautiful, but they did a beautiful thing, and that is what is important.
Not sure if I will be able to do anything to top this, but there are still meaningful things I can do. Reflecting on this can only inspire me!      

1 comment:

  1. It IS in you to give! That's a beautiful thing you did there Jen! I just love that warm, fuzzy feeling! I don't do enough for other people. Haven't felt it for a while. It's sad to see so many people who are trained to be selfish their whole lives never knowing that feeling! That was a buttload of milk too! Inspiring generosity! You're a hero! Makes me wish I produced something more useful than sweat, snot, saliva, skin and sperm. Nobody wants any of that. Hey did you ever notice how many of the things we ooze, shed and emit every day start with s?

    ReplyDelete