So, I may be flogging the proverbial dead horse here, but I have been mulling over what recent events seem to be telling me. During the past four months I have witnessed what looked like the almost certain end of someone's life, only to see the strong character of said person pull them through. Many times on hospital visits I remarked that I thought their recovery was a miracle. For the most part this was shrugged off. Even though I did not really think I could do anything to help, I found myself making regular visits. I did it partly to ease the boredom of hospital routine, and for the selfish reason that I needed to see for myself that all continued to go well. Very soon I found myself wanting to do little things, like bring coffee and cookies, as I saw how much these little gestures were appreciated. When a transfer to another hospital for rehab became necessary, I found myself plotting what I could do, and planned a little surprise, that was well received. I think I had as much fun planning and executing the details though. More time went on once rehab was completed and the patient returned to the hometown hospital. Coffee, cookies, and chats at least a few times a week as the schedule would allow.
Discharge wouldn't happen until housing was found, and anyone who has lived in Smithers recently would understand how that can be a sticking point. I honestly don't know how the town expects singles, and various folks on fixed incomes to be able to get by decently.
The hospital too, started pushing us visitors, as if it were solely our responsibility to help our friend. How is an elderly patient expected to find housing when he has no access to a phone, or more importantly in this day and age, a computer? Our friend here has family, but like many of us they are working, and live far away. It was then bore by us locally. I started taking an immense interest in anything that looked like a safe, affordable place for a single person to live.
As there were more than one or two of us taking up the search, I felt it necessary to compare notes often to make sure we weren't duplicating and asking on behalf of the same person multiple times. Patience and perseverance wins in the end. Three and a half months in, I was scrolling through Kijiji during a visit, Admittedly, I was even looking in rental categories I wasn't sure about. I mentioned one that sounded great, just a little too far for walking to town. I guess the seed was planted, because when I returned the next evening with the fresh weekly edition of the local paper, I was greeted with a rather animated and excited questioning in regard to the ieffort was worth it. I even got (what I consider) to be the honour of getting our friend out of the hospital where he had been waiting for so long. The funny thing was I went to spring him, and he was napping! Obviously, he was ready otherwise. I called out his name, hoping not to scare the s**t out of him, or otherwise give him any other reason to extend his stay at the hospital any further!
As I left that night, there were other kind-hearted souls helping him to settle in. I couldn't help but feel happy for this man, who almost four months to the day was not expected to live, or make any kind of recovery.
So, what I have learned, in addition to what I have mentioned is: Do not doubt the power of the human spirit, be willing to help someone if you can, be willing to take someone as family if they are important to you, and that you don't always get to choose who you cross paths with, but enjoy and appreciate the people you do have a bond with. You may not know what attracts you to certain people, but there is a reason, and if you are meant to be in their life you will be.
Maybe it's just life experience, but I have also learned that there is nothing wrong with loving someone, and that it is not a source of embarrassment, rather a source of strength and inspiration if you are willing to own your feelings instead of thinking they need to be hidden.
All in all, an inspirational end to the past four months!
No comments:
Post a Comment