2013 marks the centennial year for the Town of Smithers, in northwestern British Columbia. I have been pondering for some time what the marking of this occasion means to me. What better way to celebrate the Centennial than to write an ode to the special place I call home. While I may not have been born in Smithers, the town is special to me for many reasons. True, as I stated, I was not born here, but then again, one doesn't choose where one is born. My family first came to Smithers in the summer of 1989 to visit an aunt who had recently relocated to the town. We stayed for several weeks. I remember vividly the thunderstorms that summer. We sat on my aunt's back doorstep, eating popcorn to watch the show put on for us by Mother Nature. We had to go home before the Fall Fair, but it turned out that about three weeks later we returned to Smithers to live. My stint as a resident of this fair town therefore began in September of 1989. For the first while I missed my hometown, as I had lived there most of my life up until that point. Smithers was so much different geographically. The mountains, lakes, and rivers were gorgeous, but I was used to the scent of salt air and the sound of seagulls. The town itself was a lot smaller than where I was from, so there was also that change to take into account. It took some time, but I soon realized that Smithers had more to offer me than the city I had left. Ever after that I was happy to go back to my hometown for visits, but was more than happy to return after the visit was over. This is when I realized that I now considered Smithers to be home.
What's to love about this town you ask? Geographically the place is beautiful. The mountains are majestic, no matter the season. The river offers a scenic view, in addition to excellent fishing, boating, or tubing opportunities. There are numerous lakes for swimming, skating, fishing, you name it. There is a perimeter trail that winds around the town, (again, scenery), the air smells good as you walk along. The town lends itself to walking, and biking. Truly as the town slogan once said it is "a town for all seasons." As soon as the ground is covered in white stuff, winter activities are embraced with vigour.
The people are a major component of what makes Smithers great. There is a wonderful sense of community and pride here. Many people have worked hard to make this town what it is today, and that attitude is still present.
As far as I am concerned, Smithers is the perfect size town. It isn't so small that your neighbours know everything about you and your affairs, but it's small enough that you are assured of seeing a familiar, friendly face while downtown. It is large enough to have essential amenities like the railway, bus station, airport, hospital, and government services, but not so large that you get lost downtown, or face stressful commutes to work.
So, thank you Town of Smithers! I feel honoured to call you my home for all of these years. I'm not going to say that I will live here forever, but for the time being I am grateful for the opportunity to have let this jewel of a town get under my skin. I am proud to be a part of Smithers, and that it is a part of me.
Happy 100 years, Smithers, BC! May you continue to flourish and fill me with pride to call you my home.
No comments:
Post a Comment