Sunday, July 15, 2012

Value

The concept of monetary value, and how it is assigned, is a concept I admit I haven't grasped the complexities of.  It amazes me that some things are assigned such a low monetary value, while other things are assessed a sky-high one.  The best immediate example I can think of is brand names.  Sure, the name has built a reputation and that is what we are allegedly paying for--piece of mind from a trusted company wanting our hard earned dollars.  I can't justify paying an exorbitant amount of money because of a name or label, as I don't believe that is the only criteria for good value.  It may be an important piece, but (no offence intended) but this is my reasoning behind my personal choice to not buy Apple products.  Yes, I'm sure they are wonderful, innovative products, but they churn out new versions and upgrades faster than I would need them.  There is also the matter of the price.  I can find electronics which essentially do the same thing--albeit without all the bells and whistles, perhaps--for less than half the price!  I can recall being in an electronics store looking for an accessory for a Sandisk product I owned, and being told that I was lucky they had it in stock, as they didn't really have much demand for it.  If it had been an Apple, there would have been an endless array of said accessory in every colour imaginable.  I joked that in that category Apple may have been #1, but Sandisk was #2, so I did expect to see accessories for something other than Apple.  The salesguy said some smart remark about Apple cornering 95 percent of the market, and Sandisk was running at 4 percent.  "Well, I guess I'm one of the 4 percent I you'll need to keep happy too," I replied.  
I adamently refuse to be one of those people who run out to buy the latest "i" offering.  I recently checked Urban Dictionary, and low and behold, someone had entered a definition for "iSucker", 

Maybe I value my hard-earned dollars my own way, but I figure if I buy something, use it, and take care of it--that say the day comes that I am finished with whatever it is, I can sell it with a bit of expectation to recoup at least a bit of my initial investment.  I can't believe that used means trash.  I've bought things used to save money, and sometimes because used is better.  I personally hate holding garage sales to clear out unwanted treasures, as I've found people are looking to get something for free (or nearly) simply because its used.  It's called a GARAGE SALE, not a GARAGE FREEBIES!  Paying less than brand new and no government involvement (read no taxes)!  I don't go to other people's sales expecting to get something for nothing. If I don't consider their asking price reasonable, I figure I don't really want or need it.  After all they probably put out hard earned money to buy, keep, and maintain it--not to mention the time they are putting into their sale.

I think my biggest bone of contention is the sale of used cars.  Our family recently bought a new (to us) minivan and decided to just trade in the old one to make it a compact deal.   The upshot?  The trade-in value they gave us was only slightly more than what Telus values the new smartphone I got when I "married" them for the next three years.  I know the dealerships are in it for the money--obviously, but I also know the auto wreckers buying it from them are making a killing as well.  After all we bought a $700 motor out of one of the vehicles there for a broken power window in the van that went in the deal.  This is the way the world works, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it.  I have now resolved to keep the 15-year old Cavalier I have called my "ride" for the last ten years for as long as I can.  I shudder to think what low value would be placed on my trusty transportation.  I think when the day finally comes to part with ole Sally, I would almost prefer to give her away than be embarrassed by the pitiful value she would no doubt be assessed at, even though she is reliable Point A to B transportation.  New car?  Forget it.  I would have to do all the same things, but in addition pay car payments to get around in the same fashion.  That just doesn't add up to good value to me.

I read a piece some time ago, calling for the masses to start demanding things be made to last the way they used to, instead of being the throwaway society we have become.  I have high expectations if I shell out a chunk of dough for something--maybe too high, and if something doesn't meet my value expectation, well I am inclined to agree.  If something--like my car, meets my expectations, well, you can be sure I will be keeping it for its lifetime! 

No comments:

Post a Comment