Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Acting My Shoe Size--or So...


I have to admit, I have my doubts about some attributes horoscopes claim those born under the sign of Leo possess.  I do not much care for the limelight, or the "Look at me!" philosophy.  The reverse is often true for me at least.  Do stuff in the shadows of darkness, don't call attention to yourself.  I often feel awkward in my own skin and I have been in it long enough that I shouldn't.  I could probably write a whole entry on "Awkward," but that will be another time, perhaps with the addition of liquid courage to explore the question of "Why?"  I digress.  The one Leo attribute I will agree fits me is the ability to tap into my inner child.  I am fascinated and entertained by simple things--not that I am a simple person.  I deal with enough complexities in my everyday life that I find getting back to the basics is refreshing.  I sometimes wonder if I should have been born in another time.  I still find the concept that an airplane can get me several hundred kilometres in less than two hours fascinating, especially when the same distance traveled in the car would take an entire day.  No patience, not going to do it!  Again, I digress!
I can find simple pleasure in watching the dryer tumble the clothes over and over again.  I admit to holding down the lever in the old washer to watch the spin cycle, and seeing all the clothes spin together, the colours blending and swirling together, thinking the agitator vane was rotating so fast it looked like it was going to fly off!   
Having kids helps my entertainment options.  I can justify my goof-offs as having fun with them, which I do.  We discovered due to a minor malfunction that we could watch the dryer tumble with the door open.  It was hilarious watching some of the smaller items like socks fly out as the drum turned.  No problem, throw them back in!  Ditto for the dryer balls.  They would fly out after one or two revolutions.  Throw 'em back, wait for them to fly out again, the kids loved it, and in a way I too was mildly entertained.

Playgrounds just for kids?  No way in hell man!  Kids are a great way to enjoy the playground during daylight hours, but if you are adventurous they can be for adults after dark when the kidlets are asleep.  I am fortunate enough to have had like-minded friends join me for late night capers at the local playground. Two (or three) of us swinging as high as we can, proclaiming ourselves "swingers" no, not the other sense of the word--sorry.  Of course some of these shenanigans were helped by an adult ingredient.  We weren't drunk, just a little "buzzed" and having some harmless fun.  In essence, we were acting our shoe size, (which for me is about 8 or 9).
Having others to share in the juvenile fun is great for laughs and for later discussion.
Other times though it is just as appropriate to enjoy the simple things on your own.  I love watching wiener roast fires, tossing stuff in to burn--nothing dangerous obviously!  After all I'm enjoying it like a kid--not as an idiot!

Other examples for me include making videos of things others may find mundane, like taking off, flying, and landing in a plane.  Nothing like having the video to help you relieve the experience.  This is why like the kid I am, I always try to get a window seat on any flights I take.
Speaking of video, having a magnetic tripod has been great!  I can mount the camera in weird places and take video of it, like when I mounted it on the side of the car and drove down 3rd Ave.  Lots of wind noise, but a cool angle achieved with both hands on the wheel!  Next project will entail the camera on the roof--hoping a certain person will do some spin-outs and other um stunts for my viewing pleasure?

Another game of sorts I take pleasure in was introduced to me by my late maternal grandfather.  He was an awesome guy, super smart and great sense of humour.  We would indulge in Associations.  The object was to start with some simple word or phrase and without over-thinking, write down or blurt out what you associated that word/phrase with.  Done solo it could be interesting and revealing to follow your word trail to see where it would take you.  Often times I would end up a long, long way off from the word or idea I started with.  Done with others, it was amazing the twists and turns the "associations" would take, as they were coming from different thoughts and perspectives.

So, this is my acting my shoe size, in a nutshell.  I could probably think of many others, but then this would just become a ramble.  Excuse me now, I think I may just indulge in a solo Associations, and see where it takes me--it may just be a topic for another entry!       


No comments:

Post a Comment