I'm surprising myself. It's a work night, and I am partaking. Not enough to get toasted, but just a few little drinkies to make my mind wander a little. I am in an all work, and no play, making me--dull? Don't get me wrong, my workplace can be an interesting place to be with a wide range of people. It's just I am starting to feel I have spent a little too much time there. My current time sheet can attest to this fact. There are too many days showing well over 8 hours shifts. I love feeling like I am an integral part of the well-oiled machine, but I am starting to wonder if I can say no. Or if I even want to. I'm not besties with everyone I work with, but I can respect where they all come from. Some have strength in their speed, others in their reliability, and still others in that they are just good all-rounders. All in all a decent bunch.
I can feel myself slip to auto-pilot when the day starts getting too long. Lately I have been making up all kinds of dramatic stories in my head to entertain myself. Turns out my medical terminology is better than even I knew, as I started thinking up an emergency in my head and what specialty doctor to call. At the end of the day I Googled it to make sure even my imagination was accurate. Yep, it was! Guess reading all those Robin Cook novels came in handy. If I had the grades or aptitude I would be working in the medical field. Of course, not everything they do is drama and fast-pace. I'm sure they have some boring, blah moments too. I guess we can thank TV and movies for making everything edge-of-your-seat exciting.
So, here I sit, Monday night/Tuesday AM, contemplating what I will be doing for real fun when I get released from my work sentence. Should I do adult shit, and play catch-up, or should I play hooky from this whole adult BS? I have a milestone coming up, and I have just about convinced myself I don't really give jack-squat about it. It's just a number of laps our planet has done around the Sun after all. I don't feel that number. I think there is a "kid-ish" part of me resisting this whole getting older and wiser crap. Like the quotes crowding my Facebook feed, I still look to the "adultier" adults in my life. The ones who rock at life! The ones blazing the way. The body I wear is serving me well, but it ain't no teenager any more. If I want it to be a temple, I will have to work at it. I will need to decide what is important to me. Do I want to look smokin'? Or do I wanna be front row at a party in my head?
Life has to be more than just what we have to do. There has to be some want to do to break up the drudgery and monotony of everyday living. I can think of some crazy shit I would do with the right company. Stuff that someone "my age", SHOULDN'T be doing, but fuck the "shouldn't police." If I'm not hurting anyone, who has the right to say what I should or shouldn't be doing anyhow? I thought that was the idea of being an adult anyhow. I pay my taxes/bills, look after my kidlets, and yep, there's still a part of me that needs to be me. So, I go on, ho-hum--until the next adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment